A total of 211 Ugandans who were caught up in Sudan fighting have returned back home.
The group which was aboard Uganda Airlines plane touched down at Entebbe international airport on Thursday at 2am.
These were evacuated from Bahir Dar Airport in northern Ethiopia after a five days journey on-board buses from Sudan.
The group was officially received by the president’s son and special operations adviser, Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba alongside officials from the Foreign Affairs office and Migration.
Speaking to journalists at the airport, Uganda’s ambassador to Khartoum Dr. Rashid Yahya Ssemuddu who led the group commended the government for the effort to help troubled Ugandans.
“And I’m happy that no single Ugandan – who is counted among that big number of people who have died so far in Khartoum in this war. We made sure that we reached all the Ugandans and before we started the evacuation process. We kept in touch with them, warning them where to go, where not to go,” he said.
Among the 211 people who were received at the airport, 10 were children and the rest were adults.
At least 50 Ugandans are still stuck in the fighting in Sudan.
The revelation has been made by Uganda’s ambassador to Khartoum, Dr. Rashid Yahya Ssemuddu at Entebbe International Airport after 211 Ugandans who were evacuated by the govt touched down this morning at 2am.
At least 300 Ugandans were confirmed to have been trapped in Sudan following clashes between Sudan army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and the Rapid support force leader Gen Mohamed Hamdan Daglo.
Dr. Ssemuddu says as much as 211 Ugandans were received last night at the airport, about 39 were also evacuated by other agencies bringing the total number of Ugandans evacuated from conflict-ridden Sudan to 250.
The chairperson of the parliament foreign committee and also Buliisa woman MP Norah Bigirwa who witnessed the arrival of Ugandans commended the president for the evacuation efforts