By Alex Ashaba
The Uganda Wildlife Authority says it is working closely with security agencies to ensure that all people who visit Uganda’s protected areas are safe.
This is after suspected terrorists attacked and killed tourists and a tour guide in Queen Elizabeth National Park.
“Our joint forces responded immediately upon receiving the information and are aggressively pursuing the suspected ADF rebels. We express our deepest condolences to the families of the victims,” police spokesperson, Mr Fred Enanga said in a statement on Tuesday.
The Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA)spokesperson, Mr Bashir Hangi expresses deep sorrow over the tragic incident that claimed the lives of a Ugandan tour guide, UK and South African citizens whose identities are yet to be revealed.
“In response to this incident, UWA has informed the Uganda Police Force and other security agencies who are working diligently to establish the precise sequence of events leading up to this horrific incident and to identify those responsible,” a statement issued by UWA reads in part.
According to the army spokesperson Brig Felix Kulaigye, the attackers struck at about 6:40pm on the Katunguru –Mweya Katwe Road in Queen Elizabeth National Park.
The horrific attack comes days after President Museveni issued a security update indicating that Ugandan fighter bombs had hit four ADF targets inside the Democratic Republic of Congo.
On Friday last week, a group of about five suspected ADF individuals torched a Mercedes Benz vehicle killing two people and injuring one.
This is the third time suspected ADF terrorists have crossed in Kasese since the tragic June 16th raid on Mpondwe-Lhubiriha Secondary School in which 38 students and six locals were hacked to death and set ablaze.