The government of South Sudan has rejected a proposal by the United States for deployment of an additional 4,000 troops by the UN Security Council to the country.
In a press statement issued on Wednesday, the government spokesman Michael Makuei, has said the proposal expected to be voted on this Friday by the Security Council is giving the UN ability to govern and “seriously undermines” South Sudan’s sovereignty.
He adds that an attempt to undermine this sovereignty may begin with South Sudan, but could end up with many African countries being turned into new colonies.
Last week IGAD said South Sudan had agreed to a regional force, but Makuei disagreed arguing that the government had not been consulted.
Deadly fighting in the capital, Juba, last month raised fears of a renewed civil war after a failed August 2015 peace deal and worsened a humanitarian crisis.
Meanwhile the Deputy executive director Uganda Media Centre Col Shaban Bantariza says Uganda will not stop hosting refugees from neighboring countries.
This comes as the country continues receiving refugees from South Sudan following renewed clashes that erupted in July.
He says the country has the best refugee policy on the continent and will continue offering a conducive environment for asylum seekers.
He however admits that government is constrained in terms of resources to meet the needs of growing numbers but quickly adds that the best way to solve the refugee crisis is addressing the cause of insecurity back in their home countries.
Story By Benjamin Jumbe