Calm has been restored at Makerere University after the police dispersed striking students.
Anti-riot police was deployed this morning to quell a demonstration by students under the evening program that disrupted business at the Ivory Tower.
They earlier attacked their colleague on day program, dragging them out of the lecture halls.
The students are protesting a decision by the lecturers to stop teaching them over a reduction of their incentives.
According to a letter dated September 5, the lecturers outrightly rejected the 75% cut of their incentives – leaving them with only 25%.
They also resolved to teach only between 8am and 5pm, from Monday to Friday.
Meanwhile, a meeting is underway between the teaching staff and Makerere University administration to forge a way forward.
We earlier spoke to Roy Semboga the guild president–elect who told says all they want is for their colleagues to be taught starting this evening”.
Police remains heavily deployed at the campus.